- Hits: 2912
"Belize – The Natural Niche" is not simply an investment slogan but a strong statement on the opportunities Belize has to offer.
Belize offers exceptional opportunities to qualified investors who are interested in benefitting from the country's unique position in Central America and the Caribbean and its natural and human resources. Opportunities abound in sectors such as tourism and medical tourism, agribusiness and aquaculture, business process outsourcing, and renewable energy, among others.
The Government of Belize offers special incentives for investors including import duty exemptions, tax waivers, foreign currency accounts, international business companies, trusts, offshore banking, and retirement incentives.
Benefits of Investing in Belize
Belize provides the three main elements sought by international investors:
- Stability: Long-standing, democratic tradition; independent judiciary, exchange rate fixed for 25 years
- Profitability: Flexible fiscal incentives and concessions, Commercial Free Zones, Export Processing Zones, Repatriation of profits and dividends
- Climate & Culture: Subtropical climate, virgin rainforest, un-spoilt beaches and spectacular barrier reef, friendly people. Furthermore, Belize is strategically located next to Mexico and Central America, near the US and the Caribbean islands, rich in natural resources with a stable and supportive economy, bilingual workforce and established infrastructure.
Belize enjoys benefits under trade agreements with several developed countries. Including:
- Preferential market access to the Caribbean Common Market (CARICOM)
- Preferential treatment from the USA under the Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI)
- Duty free access to the European Community for most products such as bananas and sugar under the Lomé IV Convention
- Under CARIBCAN, certain Belizean goods enter Canada duty free
- Belize-Guatemala Partial Scope Agreement
Government Investment Incentives
The Government offers a menu of incentives that attract even the most cautious investor:
- 100% foreign ownership of both land and company assets.
- Joint ventures with local entities are encouraged.
- Legislation is in place providing incentives for the retirement industry.
- Flexible fiscal incentives and concessions
- Commercial Free Zones and an Export Processing Zone
- Vibrant, International Financial Services Industry
The Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE)
BELTRAIDE is committed to offering local and foreign investors the services of a one-stop centre for investment and trade activities. Our Investment Attraction, Export Promotion, Business Facilitation and Trade Information departments strive to efficiently respond to requests, inquiries and needs of investors and business persons.
BELTRAIDE promotes investments that create job opportunities and increase foreign currency for Belize and is a statutory institution governed by a Board of Directors. On the Board are representatives from the private sector, Government and Civil Society. The Board is the principal policy-making organ of BELTRAIDE.
For further information on BELTRAIDE, please visit their website via the link below: